Beating 'Gym-Timidation' Stonehenge Style

September 12th, 2018

null
If you’ve always wanted to get in shape, fall is a great time to start. Starting hitting the gym now and you'll emerge next summer as a whole new you! But if you’ve never seriously worked out before, the gym can be a bit intimidating. Are you afraid to try new workouts? Worried that other gym-goers are judging you? Terrified to step into the weight area? This feeling is totally natural. Even experienced pros  experience “gym-timidation” sometimes. Lucky for you, Stonehenge NYC is here to help with some handy tips to conquer gym-timidation. Have a Plan: Nobody wants to look like they don't know what they're doing. It's one of the biggest gym fears. While you do your best to lift some weights, everyone else will be giving you the side-eye and snickering about your terrible form, right? Wrong. 99% of people in the gym do not care one bit about what you’re doing. To ward off judgement from that remaining 1% it helps to have a plan. That means doing your homework. Hiring a trainer is a great way to learn some basic workouts and most gyms can hook you up with a great trainer. The internet is also a great place to get fitness advice. Youtube is filled with information, some of it better than others. We recommend you check out channels like Athlean-X or Robin Gallant. Websites like Bodybuilding.com are also a great source for fitness information. shutterstock_582993112 If you walk into the gym with a plan in mind, it’ll be much easier to focus on what you’re doing. You’ll stop worrying about what others think and get down to work! Bring Your Buddy: Another great way to curb your gym fears is to bring along a buddy. There are plenty of workouts that are easier, safer, and more fun when practiced with a pal. If you’re going to start bench pressing, for example, you truly need a spotter. If you aren’t able to lift the weight, your partner will save you from being crushed! shutterstock_700667800 If you have a significant other, it’s a great idea to make them your full-time gym buddy. After all, you both want to look and feel as good as possible right? If you live together, your gym buddy/sweetheart will  encourage you to get to the gym, even when you’re not feeling it. It’s a lot harder to sleep in when your S.O. is telling you it’s time to get out of bed. When you’re working out, you’ll be able to chit chat, which will make you forget all about the fact that you’re in a gym surrounded by possibly judgemental strangers. With your powers combined, you and your gym buddy will be crushing it. Consistently. Get Comfortable Saying ‘No’: So, you’ve started going to the gym and are stretching yourself beyond your comfort zone. Maybe you’ve started working out in ways that regular folks find strange? You know what we're talking about. You could be a guy in a yoga class or a gal in the weight area. Regardless, there’s a chance some small-minded people will assume you don’t know what you’re doing. shutterstock_566901928 If you’ve got your headphones in and are jamming to your music while you lift, you still might be approached by a stranger. Maybe they think they have some legitimate advice for you. Probably they’re just looking to flirt. If you’re looking for advice, or if you’re happy to flirt, go for it. But if you’re not, don’t hesitate to shut them down. A quick and polite “Thanks, but I’m sticking to a specific plan and don’t need any help,” is really all you need to say. Remember, you’re at the gym for yourself. It’s a place for you to focus on improving your body, in the way that you feel most comfortable. You’re not there to validate the self-esteem of strangers. Train Your Head Game: The true key to utterly defeating gymtimidation is to get your head game right. An awesome plan will help you feel confident with your workout, but ultimately you have to train your mind. Start by giving yourself credit. You’re going to the gym--that alone is a huge improvement over the old you. Track your progress. Feel proud of your new muscles. shutterstock_266694722 As you get more experienced working out, take note of how your mental state changes. When you’re focused on your workout, listening to your tunes, how much are you really paying attention to the people around you? Not at all, right? That’s how just about everyone else at the gym is too. If someone is spending their gym time judging others for being inexperienced or out of shape, are they really someone whose opinion you value? Congratulate yourself every time you work out and don’t beat yourself up too badly if you slip up and miss a few days. There’s always tomorrow. As with all things, practice makes perfect. You can do it!